Much of BC’s tourism industry relies on the province’s amazing biodiversity and variety of healthy, natural landscapes. Invasive species damage ecosystems, landscapes and native wildlife–the very things that draw visitors here. Tourism operators are key partners in preventing the spread of invasive species.
With support from Fisheries and Oceans Canada, the Invasive Species Council of BC (ISCBC) launched the Invasive-Wise Tourism program, a training and support program for BC’s tourism industry, in 2019. The provincial program was developed with an advisory team of invasive species experts and tourism industry professionals with funding from the Canada Nature Fund for Aquatic Species at Risk.
The overall goal of this program is to protect species at risk and BC’s rich biodiversity from the threats of invasive species by focusing on high-risk pathways such as movement by tourists, anglers, boaters, floatplanes, and recreationists. This program includes several eLearning courses, print and digital resources for staff and clients, support from ISCBC, and a recognition program. Tourism organizations who complete the complimentary training session receive an Invasive-Wise certification through ISCBC, as well as access to free resources for operators, staff, and clientele.
Are you a Destination Marketing Organization?
Help us spread the word on Invasive-Wise Tourism to protect the beautiful landscapes and diverse ecosystems that draw visitors from across the world! Support tourism operators in adopting best practices to prevent the spread of invasive species by sharing the links below with your network.
- Check out ISCBC’s (40 minute) Invasive-Wise Training Session, which was specifically developed to help Destination Marketing Organizations support Tourism Operators, to learn how invasive species impact BC’s tourism industry.
- Share the free eLearning courses with your network to increase awareness on the invasive species that are impacting BC’s tourism industry. Check out ISCBC’s eLearning Centre to explore the free, interactive eLearning courses, including
- Tourism and Invasive Species – Certification Course
- Priority Freshwater and Priority Marine Invasive Species
- Include Invasive-Wise messaging on your webpage and through your social media channels is an easy way to increase awareness on the impacts of invasive species and support tourism operators in adopting best management practices.
- Test your new knowledge by taking this short quiz. The answers are attached for your review, but we encourage you not to peak until you’ve completed the quiz!
Invasive Species eLearning and Invasive-Wise Certification
We invite all team members working for tourism businesses to take part in a complimentary training session developed for the tourism industry, which increases awareness of invasive species and identifies practical steps to prevent their spread.
By the end of the session your staff will understand:
- The impacts of invasive species on BC’s environment, economy and the tourism industry
- The connections between tourism activities and invasive species
- Simple actions to take to prevent the spread of invasive species
After watching this webinar, tourism operators will receive Invasive-Wise certification through ISCBC, as well as access to free resources for operators, staff, and clientele. At least one leadership team member must complete the training session for a tourism business to be Invasive-Wise certified.
Visit ISCBC’s Learning Centre and enroll in the training session now.
A variety of print resources, eLearning resources, and merchandise specifically designed for the tourism industry have been developed in partnership with partners and industry professionals. Print resources created for staff and clients include wallet cards, best management practices, rack cards, stickers, decals, and more. Online resources include several free e-learning courses which provide information on the impacts of invasive species on tourism in BC and practical best management practices to prevent their spread.
Spread the Word on Social Media
We encourage you to share your involvement as an Invasive-Wise Tourism Partner through your social media channels and on your website to engage British Columbians and travellers, and to inspire other tourism operators to take action on invasive species. Use our suggested social media content or create your own!
We are Invasive-Wise Tourism operators! Our staff and guides have been trained to prevent the spread of invasive species and protect BC’s nature.
Invasive species impact all of us. That’s why we are partnering with the Invasive Species Council of BC to be Invasive-Wise, and help prevent the spread of invasive species.
Include the following graphics in your posts on social media. These graphics will look great in your Facebook and Instagram feeds!
BECOME AN Invasive-Wise Tourism ParTner
If you’re interested in becoming Invasive-Wise certified, please complete the form below. Our staff will reach out to you shortly!
THANKS TO OUR PARTNERS AND ADVISORS
Do you have ideas or feedback you’d like to share? Get in touch with our Invasive-Wise Tourism team at
If you have any inquiries about the Invasive-Wise Tourism program, please contact the Outreach Lead.
Thanks to all our advisors: Backcountry Lodges of BC Association, BC Ministry of the Environment, BC River Outfitters Association, Boating BC Association, Cariboo Chilcotin Coast Tourism Association, Central Kootenay Invasive Species Society, Fisheries and Oceans Canada, Destination BC, Kootenay Rockies Tourism, Thompson Okanagan Tourism Association, Transport Canada, and Wilderness Tourism Association.