There is a current shortage of certified pesticide applicators across the province. The Invasive Species Council of BC offers the required training to obtain Industrial Vegetation and Noxious Weed Applicator Certification. This multi-day training course has been created to ensure participants receive the necessary information to successfully obtain their pesticide applicators certificate as well as help them become more employable in the field of invasive plant management. Participants that attend this course will learn to properly and safely manage weeds on industrial land, roads, power lines, railways and pipeline right-of-ways including control of weeds designated as noxious on private or public land.
This course will either be offered as a 3 or 4-day session, depending on the needs of the majority of the participants. The 4-day session includes a more thorough review of the math component. Please check each course listing to see if it is a 3 or 4-day session.
PAC Course Outline
Participants will spend 2-3 days reviewing key material in the Ministry of Environments Industrial Vegetation and Noxious weed Pesticide Applicators CORE manual, including current noxious weed and herbicide legislation, impacts, safety, mixing herbicide, calibrating equipment and more. A large portion of time will be spent reviewing basic math principals and working through various calculations related to herbicide application.
On the last day of the course, participants will have an open study session with the trainer prior to writing the open book exam (optional). Note: Folks that would like additional time to prepare for the exam can opt out of writing it as part of the course and can make their own arrangements to write the B.C. certification exam at a later date at a local government agent office
1. Assistant Pesticide Applicators Training - this free training is offered online by the Ministry of Environment. Successful training participant will be enabled to apply pesticides to treatment areas under the supervision of a certified pesticide applicator, safely transport pesticides to work sites, take pesticides in and out of storage, and ensure security of mobile, temporary and permanent pesticide storage facilities. Assistant applicators must re-take the training annually. Learn More About the Assistant Applicator Online Training.
2. Math Refresher - This is an extensive training course that includes a heavy math component; knowledge of basic math (example - cross multiplication and unit conversion) is an asset but not a requirement. A grade 8 or higher math competency is recommended. Check your local communities for math refresher courses.
Current Pesticide Applicator Certification (PAC) Training Courses
The following PAC courses are currently scheduled. Click through for the registration form.
- Williams Lake, BC - Oct 1st - 4th, 2018 - registration has closed
Please note that there are limited seats available at these sessions and folks may be placed on a waiting list.
Contact us if you have questions about PAC courses.
Please note that all fees are subject to 5% GST.
- Course Fee - ISCBC Member Rate*: $530 (4 day course), $430(3 day course)
- Course Fee - Non-Member Rate*: $550 (4 day course), $450 (3 day course)
- Ministry of Environment Exam Fee: $90
- Ministry of Environment Course Manual Fee: $90
*Click here to apply to join the Invasive Species Council of BC.
If you would like the Course Manuals in advance of the session to pre-study (highly recommended), you can order them for a fee of $90 (plus GST) from the Ministry of Environment & Climate Change Strategy by calling: 250-387-9502. The course manuals used in the session are as follows:
- Canadian Pesticide Education Program Applicator Core Manual British Columbia Edition:2011
- Supplementary Information for Industrial Vegetation and Noxious Weed Control Pesticide Applicator Certification: 2011
Courses may be cancelled if we cannot meet our minimum registration threshold.
Please read the cancellation and refund policy before completing registration.